The plumbing in your home is very important to the overall function and health of your home. It is important to do regular plumbing maintenance to keep it working properly. There are several things you can do to prevent larger and more expensive plumbing maintenance issues. Here are our top six plumbing maintenance tips that we recommend all homeowners to follow.
- Drain Cleaners – If you need to use a drain cleaner, we recommend using a non-toxic drain cleaner.
- Immediate Repairs – If you notice a leak or a clog, it is vitally important that you have it repaired as soon as possible. Allowing these issues to persist can cause even further and more costly repairs.
- Garbage Disposal – Garbage disposals can be handy in the kitchen but should be used sparingly and with some restrictions. Some items should never be put down the garbage disposal. It’s best to read the manual of your garbage disposal for specific dos and don’ts, but as a general rule, never put coffee grounds, pasta/rice, egg shells, or grease down your disposal.
- Shut-Off Valves – Educate yourself with where all the shut-off valves are located for each appliance that uses water and the main water shut-off valve for your entire house.
- Plumbing Check Ups – Be sure to have your plumbing system, HVAC system, and water heater routinely checked and maintained by a professional plumber to ensure that everything is working properly.
- Object-Free Drains – It is important to keep objects from going down your drains. The best way to do this is to make sure each drain has a stopper or screen.