Your water heater is an important part of your home. If you think you need water heater replacement, then it is important to know and understand the signs of needing a new one. Sometimes water heaters can be repaired, and other times, a water heater replacement is needed. Five important signs that usually indicate you need water heater replacement are:
- Water Temperature Issues – If you start to have lukewarm or cold showers when you didn’t before, then it may be due to a declining water heater that needs to be replaced soon.
- Age – Water heaters don’t last forever. They eventually will get old and need to be replaced. A good age to start looking into a water heater replacement is 15 to 20 years old.
- Corrosion – There should never be corrosion on your water heater. If there is corrosion, you will likely need to replace your water heater.
- Discoloration – Your water should be clear and clean. You should never see a reddish tint to your hot water. If you do have a reddish tint, it could be an indication that your water heater is rusting on the inside and your water is unsafe to drink or use.
- Repairs – Repeated repairs over a short amount of time can indicate that it is time to ditch the old water heater and get a new one. You will have better water and fewer repairs with a new one.
If you find yourself with one or more of these signs, we will likely recommend a new water heater. It is important to have your water heater inspected by a professional to assess if it needs to be repaired or replaced. Give us a call at Carolina Plumbing & Repair if you suspect that your water heater needs to be evaluated.